Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Midnight Fruitcakes


I baked a couple of Midnight Fruitcakes this morning. One for Kak Apeng and the other one will be quartered into what I'm about to call, the Christmas Quartet. The Quartet is basically 4-quarters of different cakes put together on one cake board - Midnight Fruitcake, Choc-Cheese Wave, Caramel Ruffle Brownie, and Cappuccino Velvet Cheesecake. Making one batch of the Quartet will give me 4 'cakes', and I'm planning to give them out as gifts to 4 close friends as a Christmas/New Year's Eve presents =) I will take a photo once I've assembled the cakes.

Going back to the Midnight Fruitcake, I'm, honestly, not a fruitcake fan. The reason I even attempted baking the fruitcake was because of my Dad who loves fruitcakes, hence I thought of baking something he likes. My Mum, like me, isn't a fan of fruitcakes. However, she absolutely LOVES this Midnight Fruitcake. Possibly the only one she'll ever eat! I am still a non-fruitcake lover hehehe =P


The Midnight Fruitcake isn't like the ones we usually get in shops (or at least like the many that I've tasted). For one, which is the most important element for a cake, to me, is it is very moist. Secondly, it's packed with fruits! - Prunes, Golden Raisins, Currants & Oranges. There's barely enough cake/flour to hold the fruits together. I don't use the pre-mixed fruits you get in packets. I think they just downgrade your cakes. Then again, that's just a personal opinion. Thirdly, like all of my cakes, it's not overly sweet. I think there's a good balance between the sweetness, tanginess, and spiciness of the cake. The cake/dough/flour itself is like a chocolate-mocha mix.

Tania once said that there's no colour since 3/4 of the fruits used are black. But I told her "Why do you think I named it Midnight Fruitcake?". I have a thing against glazed cherries, especially the typical green & red ones. That's why I don't use it in the cake. I could put in nuts, then again it all goes down to cost and how much people are willing to pay for a fruitcake.

Caledonia offers the Midnight Fruitcake at RM85 for 1.65g.

[Photo: The two fruitcakes I baked this morning, about to sit in the fridge. I have a habit of wrapping cakes in cling film to avoid fridge odours!]

No comments: